EMDRIA Certification in EMDR
A clinician who is EMDRIA Certified in EMDR has been licensed or certified in their profession for independent practice and has had a minimum of two years experience in their field. They have completed an EMDRIA approved training program in EMDR, have conducted a minimum of fifty clinical sessions in which EMDR was utilized, and have received twenty hours of consultation in EMDR by an Approved Consultant. In addition they must complete twelve hours of continuing education in EMDR every two years.
Please read the Certification Criteria below before filling out the Certification Application. View the Certification Application.
If approved, Certification status will be granted for 2 years from date of acceptance.
Please allow 3-5 weeks to receive your certificate after ALL materials are submitted for administrative processing. EMDRIA asks that you do not submit incomplete applications. All application materials, including Letters of Recommendation, must be submitted in English.
Full Member of EMDRIA | $150.00 US Dollars
Non-EMDRIA Member | $350.00 US Dollars
Please Note: In order to receive the Member rate for Certification, you must maintain current EMDRIA Full Membership status during the 2 year Certification period.
The applicant for the designation of EMDRIA Certified Therapist must meet the following criteria:
1) EMDRIA Approved Training: Submit evidence of having completed an EMDRIA approved Basic EMDR Training program. A copy of your certificate of completion is required.
2) License/Certification: Show evidence of a license/certification/registration as a mental health professional. A photocopy of your license/certification/registration to practice independently is required.
3) Do you have at least two years experience in your field of license/ certification/ registration? Answer yes or no on the application form and then attach notarized documentation supporting this statement. You can write out the statement as it is written, "I have at least two years' experience in my field of license", or something similar and then have it notarized.
4) Have you conducted at least 50 EMDR sessions with at least 25 clients? Answer yes or no on the application form and then attach notarized documentation supporting this statement. Again, you can write out the statement as it is written, "I have conducted at least 50 EMDR sessions with at least 25 clients", or something similar and then have it notarized. You may combine statements #3 and #4 on one sheet of paper and have the document notarized once for your convenience.
5) Have you received 20 hours of consultation by an Approved Consultant in EMDR?* Answer yes or no on the application form. Then you will need to obtain documentation from the Approved Consultant(s) you received your consultation from, verifying the number of hours you have received from him/her and how many of those hours were individual consultation and how many were group consultation. If you have received consultation from more than one Approved Consultant, you will need documentation from each. At least 10 of these hours must be obtained through individual, EMDR-focused consultation. The remaining 10 hours may be obtained through small group consultation. Consultation groups cannot exceed more than 8 participants at a time. Consultants-in-Training can provide up to 15 hours of consultation; the remaining 5 hours must be with an Approved Consultant. *Only consultation hours received AFTER completion of an EMDRIA Approved Basic Training program can be applied towards this requirement.
6) Attach letter or letter(s) of recommendation from one or more Approved Consultant(s) in EMDR, regarding your utilization of EMDR while in the consulting relationship
7) Attach two letters of recommendation regarding your professional utilization of EMDR in practice, ethics in practice, and professional character. These can be obtained from colleagues or peers.
8) Attach certificates of completion of 12 hours of EMDRIA Credits (continuing education in EMDR). The Basic EMDR Training is not awarded EMDRIA Credits - only EMDRIA Approved Credit Programs in EMDR that are completed after the entire Basic Training program can receive EMDRIA Credits and be used towards this application requirement. Please click here to view the Calendar of Events.
9) EMDRIA's Professional Code of Conduct. Applicants must read and verify on the application form that they agree to adhere to EMDRIA's Professional Code of Conduct.