EMDRIA Approved Consultant in EMDR
EMDRIA Approved Consultants must meet all criteria to be Certified in EMDR. In addition, they must have three years of experience with EMDR after completing an EMDRIA Approved Training Program, have conducted at least three hundred clinical sessions in which EMDR was utilized, and have received twenty hours of consultation-of-consultation from an EMDRIA Approved Consultant. They must complete twelve hours of continuing education in EMDR every two years.The EMDR International Association cannot and does not make referrals to specific EMDR therapists. EMDRIA makes no claims of assurances regarding the qualifications of the practitioners listed, or the suitability of the services to be rendered by the practitioner for the needs of the inquiring individual. The use of this directory to locate an EMDR therapist is voluntary. In no event shall EMDRIA be liable for the voluntary selection of any EMDR therapist, or for the services provided by any EMDR therapist.
Please note: Those applying for Approved Consultant status must already have completed the application process for and been approved as an EMDRIA Certified Therapist in EMDR. You cannot begin to accrue consultation-of-consultation hours until you have been approved as an EMDRIA Certified Therapist in EMDR.
Approved Consultant Application
Please read the Approved Consultant Criteria below before filling out the Approved Consultant Application. View the Approved Consultant Application.
Approved Consultant Period
If accepted, Approved Consultant status will be granted for 2 years from the date of acceptance.
Please allow 3-5 weeks to receive your certificate after ALL materials are submitted for administrative processing. EMDRIA asks that you do not submit incomplete applications. All application materials, including Letters of Recommendation, must be submitted in English.
Approved Consultant Fees
Full Member of EMDRIA | $250.00 US Dollars
Non-EMDRIA Member | $450.00 US Dollars
Please Note: In order to receive the Member rate for Approved Consultant, you must maintain current EMDRIA Full Membership status during the 2 year Certification period.
Approved Consultant Criteria
The applicant for the designation of EMDRIA Approved Consultant must meet the following criteria:
1) EMDRIA Approved Training: Submit evidence of having completed an EMDRIA approved Basic EMDR Training program. A copy of your certificate of completion is required.
2) License/Certification: Show evidence of a license/certification/registration as a mental health professional. A photocopy of your license/certification/registration to practice independently is required.
3) Do you have at least three years experience after completing an EMDRIA approved training program? Answer yes or no on the application form. Applicants MUST have the minimum 3 years experience after completion of the Basic EMDR Training.
4) Have you conducted at least 300 EMDR sessions with at least 75 clients? Answer yes or no on the application form and then attach notarized documentation supporting this statement. You can write out the statement as it is written, "I have conducted at least 300 EMDR sessions with at least 75 clients", or something similar and then have it notarized.
5) Have you received 20 hours of consultation-of-consultation by an Approved Consultant in EMDR?* Answer yes or no on the application form. Then you will need to obtain documentation from the Approved Consultant(s) you received your consultation-of-consultation from, verifying the number of hours you have received from him/her and how many of those hours were individual consultation and how many were group consultation. If you have received consultation from more than one Approved Consultant, you will need documentation from each. These "consultation-of-consultation" groups in EMDR should be no larger than 4 consultants-in-training at any one time.
*PLEASE NOTE: Only consultation hours received AFTER becoming a Certified Therapist can be applied towards this requirement*
6) Attach letter or letter(s) of recommendation from one or more Approved Consultant(s) in EMDR, regarding the quality of your consultation in EMDR to others.
7) Attach two letters of recommendation regarding your professional utilization of EMDR in practice, ethics in practice, and professional character. These can be obtained from colleagues or peers.
8) Attach certificates of completion of 12 hours of EMDRIA Credits (continuing education in EMDR). The Basic EMDR Training is not awarded EMDRIA Credits - only EMDRIA Approved Credit Programs in EMDR that are completed after the basic training can receive EMDRIA Credits and be used towards this application requirement. Please click here to view the Calendar of Events.
9) EMDRIA's Professional Code of Conduct. Applicants must read and verify on the application form that they agree to adhere to EMDRIA's Professional Code of Conduct.
Please Note: Upon meeting these requirements, completing the application, and paying an application fee, the applicant would receive the designation as an EMDRIA Approved Consultant. Although the status of Approved Consultant subsumes Certification, those applying for Approved Consultant status must already have completed the application process for and been approved as EMDRIA Certified Therapists in EMDR. This qualifies them to consult with those seeking certification in EMDR. You may not begin working towards meeting the Approved Consultant requirements until you have been designated an EMDRIA Certified Therapist in EMDR and you have notified EMDRIA to which Approved Consultant you are working with for consultation-of-consultation hours. Additionally, an individual who is already Certified in EMDR must still pay full applicant cost to be elevated to the status of Approved Consultant.
Are you a Consultant-in-Training? Read FAQs here!