Becoming an EMDR International Association Approved Consultant
EMDR International Association Certified Therapists who have completed the online CIT Declaration Form are eligible to begin working towards Approved Consultant status. In addition to already being a Certified Therapist, applicants must have three years of experience with EMDR after completing an EMDR International Association Approved EMDR Training Program, have conducted at least three hundred clinical sessions in which EMDR was utilized, and have received twenty hours of consultation-of-consultation from an EMDR International Association Approved Consultant. They must complete twelve hours of continuing education in EMDR every two years to continue to hold this credential.
Please note: Those applying for Approved Consultant status must be an EMDR International Association Certified Therapist. You cannot begin to accrue consultation-of-consultation hours until you have been approved as an EMDR International Association Certified Therapist.
- Approved Consultant Application
- Approved Consultant Period
- Approved Consultant Fees
- Approved Consultant Criteria
Approved Consultant Application
Please read the Approved Consultant Criteria below and Consultant-in-Training Frequently Asked Questions before filling out the Approved Consultant Application. Please only submit an application one time via scan, fax or mail and do not submit incomplete applications. All application materials, including Letters of Recommendation, must be submitted in English.
Approved Consultant Period
If accepted, Approved Consultant status will be granted for 2 years from the date of acceptance. To keep this credential, you will need to renew every two years.
Approved Consultant Fees
Full Member of EMDR International Association | $250.00 US Dollars
Non-EMDR International Association Member | $450.00 US Dollars
Approved Consultant Criteria
The applicant for the credential of EMDR International Association Approved Consultant must meet the following criteria:
- EMDR International Association Approved Training: Submit evidence of having completed an EMDR International Association approved EMDR Training program. A copy of your certificate of completion is required.
- License/Certification: Provide documentation of independent license as a mental health professional in the state or province where you practice. A photocopy of your license to practice independently is required.
- Do you have at least three years of experience after completing an EMDR International Association approved Training program? Answer yes or no on the application form. Applicants MUST have the minimum 3 years of experience after completion of the EMDR Training.
- Have you conducted at least 300 EMDR sessions with at least 75 clients? Answer yes or no on the application form and then attach notarized documentation supporting this statement. You can write out the statement as it is written, “I have conducted at least 300 EMDR sessions with at least 75 clients”, or something similar and then have it notarized.
- Have you received 20 hours of consultation-of-consultation by an Approved Consultant in EMDR?* Answer yes or no on the application form. Then you will need to obtain documentation from the Approved Consultant(s) you received your consultation-of-consultation from, verifying the number of hours you have received from him/her and how many of those hours were individual consultation and how many were group consultation. If you have received consultation from more than one Approved Consultant, you will need documentation from each. These “consultation-of-consultation” groups in EMDR should be no larger than 4 consultants-in-training at any one time.
Click Here to Find an Approved Consultant*PLEASE NOTE:
Only consultation hours received AFTER becoming a Certified Therapist can be applied towards this requirement
- Attach letter or letter(s) of recommendation from one or more Approved Consultant(s) in EMDR, regarding the quality of your consultation in EMDR to others.
- Attach two letters of recommendation regarding your professional utilization of EMDR in clinical practice, consultation abilities, ethics in practice, and professional character. These can be obtained from colleagues or peers.
- Attach certificates of completion of 12 hours of EMDR International Association Credits (continuing education in EMDR). The EMDR Training is not awarded EMDR International Association Credits – only EMDR International Association Approved Credit Programs in EMDR that are completed after the EMDR Training can receive EMDR International Association Credits and be used towards this application requirement. EMDR International Association Credits are one time use only. This means if you used an EMDR International Association Credit course to apply for Certification or renew your Certification, you cannot use that same EMDR International Association Credit course towards this application requirement.If you are in need of EMDR International Association Credits, you can earn EMDR International Association Credits through the EMDR International Association OnDemand eLearning site.For more information and to access the EMDR International Assocation OnDemand catalog of choices, click here.Additionally, you may click here to view the Calendar of Events.
- EMDR International Association Policies. Applicants must read and verify on the application form that they agree to adhere to EMDR International Association Policies.Please Note: Upon meeting these requirements, completing the application, and paying an application fee, the applicant would receive the designation as an EMDR International Association Approved Consultant. Although the status of Approved Consultant subsumes Certification, those applying for Approved Consultant status must already have completed the application process for and been approved as EMDR International Association Certified Therapists in EMDR. This qualifies them to consult with those seeking certification in EMDR. You may not begin working towards meeting the Approved Consultant requirements until you have been designated an EMDR International Association Certified Therapist in EMDR and you have notified EMDR International Association to which Approved Consultant you are working with for consultation-of-consultation hours. Additionally, an individual who is already Certified in EMDR must still pay full applicant cost to be elevated to the status of Approved Consultant.