Become an EMDR Consultant™
EMDR Certified Therapists™ who have completed the online CIT Declaration Form are eligible to begin working towards the EMDR Consultant™ credential. In addition to already being an EMDR Certified Therapist™, applicants must have three years of experience with EMDR after completing an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training Program, have conducted at least three hundred clinical sessions in which EMDR was utilized, and have received twenty hours of consultation-of-consultation from an EMDR Consultant™. They must complete twelve hours of continuing education in EMDR every two years to continue to hold this credential.
Those applying for EMDR Consultant™ status must be a current EMDR Certified Therapist™. You cannot begin to accrue consultation-of-consultation hours until you have been approved as an EMDR Certified Therapist™.
EMDRIA Member | $250 US Dollars (non-refundable)
- EMDR Consultant fees are separate from EMDRIA membership dues. If you're not a current member, Join Now to receive the discounted rate.
Non-Member | $450 US Dollars (non-refundable)
- Non-Members do not appear in the Find an EMDR Therapist directory. A listing in our directory is a benefit of EMDRIA membership only.
- Member discounts are not applied retroactively. If you apply to be an EMDR Consultant as a Non-Member and join EMDRIA at a later date, you will not receive a partial refund of your application fee. Be sure to join EMDRIA before you apply for EMDR Consultant status.
EMDR Consultant™ Period
If your EMDR Consultant™ application is approved, your status as an EMDR Consultant™ will be granted for a two-year period. To keep this credential, you will need to renew every two years. Learn more about EMDR Consultant Renewal. Your status as an EMDR Certified Therapist™ will be incorporated into your status as an EMDR Consultant™ and you will not need to renew your EMDR Certified Therapist™ status separately.
EMDR Consultant™ Application
Please read the EMDR Consultant™ Criteria below and the Consultant-in-Training FAQs before submitting an EMDR Consultant™ Application. Although the status of EMDR Consultant™ subsumes Certification, individuals applying for EMDR Consultant™ status must already have completed the application process and been approved as an EMDR Certified Therapist™. This qualifies them to consult with those seeking certification in EMDR.
- You must notify EMDRIA via the CIT Declaration Form of which EMDR Consultant™ you are working with for consultation-of-consultation hours.
- All application materials, including Letters of Recommendation, must be submitted in English.
EMDR Consultant™ Criteria
1. EMDR International Association Approved EMDR Training
Provide a copy of your certificate of completion of an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training program.
Provide a copy of your license to practice independently as a mental health professional in the state or province where you practice.
3. Three Years of EMDR Experience
- Do you have at least three years of experience after completing an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training program?
Applicants must have the minimum 3 years of experience after completion of the EMDR Training.
4. Notarized Statement of EMDR Sessions
- Have you conducted at least 300 EMDR sessions with at least 75 clients?
Provide a notarized document supporting this statement. Applicants can simply state "I have conducted at least 300 EMDR sessions with at least 75 clients" or similar wording and then have it notarized.
5. Twenty (20) Hours of Consultation-of-Consultation by an EMDR Consultant™ in EMDR
Twenty hours of consultation-of-consultation are required. Provide documentation from the EMDR Consultant(s)™ who provided consultation-of-consultation to you. It must specify the exact number of consultation hours you received and designate how many of those were individual consultations and how many were group consultations. Find an EMDR Consultant.
- If you have received consultation from more than one EMDR Consultant™, you will need documentation from each one.
- Consultation-of-consultation groups cannot exceed more than four EMDR Consultants-in-Training at any one time.
- Only consultation hours received after becoming an EMDR Certified Therapist™ can be applied towards this requirement.
6. EMDR Consultant™ Letter(s) of Recommendation
Provide letter(s) from one or more EMDR Consultant(s)™ addressing the quality of your consultation in EMDR to others.
- Letters may include documentation of consultation hours as required in #5 above.
7. Letters of Recommendation Regarding Professional Practice
Provide two letters of recommendation regarding your professional utilization of EMDR in clinical practice, consultation abilities, ethics in practice, and professional character. These letters may be from colleagues or peers.
8. 12 Hours of EMDRIA Credits
Provide certificates of completion for at least 12 hours of EMDRIA Credits (continuing education in EMDR). Find EMDRIA Credit workshops and programs.
- Only EMDRIA Credit Programs in EMDR obtained after the completion of EMDR Training may be used towards this requirement. EMDR Training programs are not awarded EMDRIA Credits.
- EMDRIA Credits are one-time use only. If you've used credits to apply or renew EMDR Certification, they cannot be reused for the EMDR Consultant™ application.
- Certificates of completion of EMDRIA Credits hours should include the EMDRIA program approval number and the number of credits earned.
9. EMDR International Association Policies Agreement
Applicants must read and verify on the application form that they agree to adhere to EMDRIA Policies.