EMDRIA is a professional membership association for clinicians who practice EMDR therapy. We offer annual membership in addition to a certification process. We encourage you to read the full details of the EMDR Basic Training and EMDR Certification pages, but below is a quick guide to understanding the difference between these two offerings.
EMDR Basic Training
- An EMDR Basic Training equips trainees with the knowledge and skills to use EMDR therapy, providing at least 50 hours of content through lecture, practicum, and consultation.
- EMDRIA sets the standards and requirements for the EMDR Basic Training but we don’t handle the registration process.
- You can register for an EMDR Basic Training online through the training provider directly, assuming you meet the eligibility requirements for EMDR Training.
- View our 5 Steps to Take an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Basic Training Infographic
- Once you complete an EMDR Basic Training in its entirety, you will:
- be considered an EMDR Trained Clinician
- receive an EMDR Basic Training completion certificate from your EMDR Training Provider directly
- be able to join EMDRIA at the Full Member level, assuming you meet the specified requirements for that level of membership
- be able to start working on completing the requirements for EMDR Certification
- Being an EMDR Trained Clinician does not certify you in EMDR. To become certified in EMDR, you will need to submit a separate application and meet the requirements for approval. Fees associated with certification application and renewal are not included with EMDR training.
- EMDRIA offers a certification in EMDR which designates a mental health clinician as an EMDR Certified Therapist.
- EMDRIA offers an additional certification to active EMDR Certified Therapists to provide consultation of EMDR to those completing EMDR Basic Training or EMDR Certification. This gives the EMDR Certified Therapist an additional designation as an EMDR Consultant. To learn more about EMDR Consultant status, click here.
- You may apply for EMDR Certification by submitting an application online and paying the application fee. You must meet all the requirements on the application form. Once your application is received, it will be reviewed by EMDRIA. If you meet all the requirements, your certification will be approved and you will become an EMDR Certified Therapist.
- EMDR Certification is bi-annual. Certifications expire on the last day of the month. If you join EMDRIA at the same time you apply for certification, your expiration month for both will be the same. However, membership will expire every year and certification will expire every 2 years. It is more common to have membership and certification expire in different months, as most apply for certification already being a member. EMDRIA will always send separate renewal notices for membership and certification.
- EMDR Certification does not include any EMDRIA membership benefits. If you would like membership benefits such as access to members-only resources and publications, a listing in the Find an EMDR Therapist directory, and discounts on application fees, you will need to join EMDRIA.
- Renewal of EMDR Certification is required every two years. When it's time to renew, EMDRIA will contact you with instructions on how to submit your renewal application online and pay the application fee.
- 12 EMDRIA Credits are required for EMDR Certification renewal. You must earn the 12 EMDRIA Credits within your current certification period.