Become an EMDR Certified Therapist
Mental health clinicians are eligible to become EMDR Certified Therapists through EMDRIA if they have an advanced degree from an accredited college or university, are fully licensed in their mental health professional field for independent practice, and have two years of experience (minimum) in that field. Specific EMDR requirements include completion of an EMDRIA approved training program in EMDR therapy, a minimum of 50 clinical sessions in which EMDR was utilized, and 20 hours of consultation in EMDR by an Approved Consultant. To maintain the credential, EMDR Certified Therapists must complete 12 hours of continuing education in EMDR every two years.
EMDRIA Full Member | $150 US Dollars (non-refundable)
- Certification fees are separate from EMDRIA membership dues. If you're not a current member, Join Now to receive the discounted rate.
- Associate Members are not eligible to become certified in EMDR. If you're an Associate Member, you will need to upgrade to Full membership before applying for certification.
Non-Member | $350 US Dollars (non-refundable)
- Non-Members do not appear in the Find an EMDR Therapist directory. A listing in our directory is a benefit of EMDRIA membership only.
- Member discounts are not applied retroactively. If you apply for certification as a Non-Member and join EMDRIA at a later date, you will not receive a partial refund of your application fee. Be sure to join EMDRIA before you apply for certification.
If your certification application is approved, your EMDR Certification status will be granted for a two-year period. To keep this credential, you will need to renew every two years. Learn more about Certification Renewal
Please read the Certification Criteria below and the Certification FAQ before you begin the application. All application materials, including Letters of Recommendation, must be submitted in English.
1. EMDR International Association Approved EMDR Training
Provide a copy of your certificate of completion of an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training program.
Provide a copy of your license to practice independently as a mental health professional in the state or province where you practice.
3. Notarized Statement of Practice and EMDR Experience
- Do you have at least two years of experience in your field of license?
- Have you conducted at least 50 EMDR sessions with at least 25 clients?
Both statements may be included in one single notarized document. Applicants can simply state, “I have at least 2 years experience in my field of license and I have conducted at least 50 EMDR therapy sessions with at least 25 clients” or similar wording and then have it notarized.
4. 20 Hours of Consultation by an EMDRIA Approved Consultant in EMDR
Provide documentation from the Approved Consultant(s) who provided EMDR consultation to you. It must specify the exact number of consultation hours you received and designate how many of those hours were individual consultation and how many were group consultation. Find an Approved Consultant
- Be sure to review the Consultation Packet and become familiar with the consultation process.
- If you have received consultation from more than one Approved Consultant, you will need documentation from each one.
- At least 10 of the hours must be obtained through individual, EMDR-focused consultation. The remaining 10 hours may be obtained through small group consultation. Consultation groups cannot exceed more than eight participants at a time.
- Consultants-in-Training can provide up to 15 hours of consultation. The remaining five hours must be provided by an EMDRIA Approved Consultant.
- Only consultation hours received after completion of an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training program can be applied towards this requirement.
5. EMDRIA Approved Consultant Letter(s) of Recommendation for EMDR Certification
Provide letter(s) from one or more EMDRIA Approved Consultant(s) addressing your utilization of EMDR with clients and recommending you to be certified in EMDR.
- Letters may include documentation of consultation hours as required in #4 above. If that's the case, upload the same document for both requirements on the application.
- Letters from Consultants-in-Training do not meet this requirement. Letters must be from an EMDRIA Approved Consultant.
6. Letters of Recommendation Regarding Professional Practice
Provide two letters of recommendation regarding your professional utilization of EMDR (if possible), ethics in practice, and professional character. These letters may be from colleagues or peers.
7. 12 Hours of EMDRIA Credits
Provide certificates of completion for at least 12 hours of EMDRIA Credits (continuing education in EMDR). Find EMDRIA Credit workshops and programs.
- Only EMDRIA Credit Programs in EMDR obtained after the completion of EMDR Training may be used towards this requirement. EMDR Training programs are not awarded EMDRIA Credits.
- Certificates of completion of EMDRIA Credits hours should include the EMDRIA program approval number and the number of credits earned.
8. EMDR International Association Policies Agreement
Applicants must read and verify on the application form that they agree to adhere to EMDRIA Policies.