Become an EMDR Certified Therapist
Mental health clinicians who are fully licensed to engage in private, independent practice and have completed an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training, in its entirety, are eligible to become an EMDR Certified Therapist through EMDRIA.
Please read the Certification Criteria below and the Certification FAQ before you begin the application. All application materials, including Letters of Recommendation, must be submitted in English.
Ready to submit your application? All applications must be submitted through our online portal below. You will upload all requirements and pay the application fee online. The approval process is typically 3-5 weeks. We will reach out via email with any questions regarding your application as well as when your application has been processed.
EMDRIA Full Member | $150 US Dollars (non-refundable)
- Certification fees are separate from EMDRIA membership dues. If you're not a current member, Join Now to receive the discounted rate.
- Associate Members are not eligible to become certified in EMDR. If you're an Associate Member, you will need to upgrade to Full membership before applying for certification.
Non-EMDRIA Member | $350 US Dollars (non-refundable)
- Non-Members do not appear in the Find an EMDR Therapist directory. A listing in our directory is a benefit of EMDRIA membership only.
- Member discounts are not applied retroactively. If you apply for certification as a Non-Member and join EMDRIA at a later date, you will not receive a partial refund of your application fee. Be sure to join EMDRIA before you apply for certification.
EMDR Certification Period
If your certification application is approved, your EMDR Certification credential will be granted for a two-year period. To keep this credential, you will need to renew it every two years. Learn more about EMDR Certification Renewal
EMDR Certification Criteria
1. EMDR International Association Approved EMDR Training
Provide a copy of your final certificate of completion of an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training program.
Provide a copy of your current license to practice independently as a mental health professional in the state or province where you practice. The license must include the current expiration date.
3. Notarized Statement of Practice and EMDR Experience
- Do you have at least two years of experience in your field of license?
- Have you conducted at least 50 EMDR sessions with at least 25 clients?
Both statements may be included in one single notarized document. Applicants can simply state, “I have at least 2 years experience in my field of license and I have conducted at least 50 EMDR therapy sessions with at least 25 clients” or similar wording and then have it notarized.
4. 20 Hours of Consultation by an EMDR Consultant in EMDR
Provide documentation from the EMDR Consultant(s) who provided EMDR consultation to you. It must specify the exact number of consultation hours you received and designate how many of those hours were individual consultation and how many were group consultation. Find an EMDR Consultant
- Be sure to review the Consultation Packet and become familiar with the consultation process.
- If you have received consultation from more than one EMDR Consultant, you will need documentation from each one.
- At least 10 of the hours must be obtained through individual, EMDR-focused consultation. The remaining 10 hours may be obtained through small group consultation. Consultation groups cannot exceed more than eight participants at a time.
- EMDR Consultants-in-Training can provide up to 15 hours of consultation. The remaining five hours must be provided by an EMDR Consultant.
- Only consultation hours received after completion of an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training program can be applied towards this requirement.
5. EMDR Consultant Letter(s) of Recommendation for EMDR Certification
Provide letter(s) from one or more EMDR Consultant(s) addressing your utilization of EMDR with clients and recommending you to be certified in EMDR.
- Letters may include documentation of consultation hours as required in #4 above. If that's the case, upload the same document for both requirements on the application.
- Letters from EMDR Consultants-in-Training do not meet this requirement. Letters must be from an EMDR Consultant.
6. Letters of Recommendation Regarding Professional Practice
Provide two letters of recommendation regarding your professional utilization of EMDR, ethics in practice, and professional character.
- These letters may be from colleagues or peers.
- Letters from your EMDR Consultant or EMDR Consultant-in-Training do not count as peer letters.
- Two letters of recommendation from colleagues or peers are required.
7. 12 Hours of EMDRIA Credits
Provide certificates of completion for at least 12 hours of EMDRIA Credits (continuing education in EMDR). Find EMDRIA Credit workshops and programs.
- Only EMDRIA Credit Programs in EMDR obtained after the completion of EMDR Training may be used towards this requirement. Initial EMDR Trainings are not awarded EMDRIA Credits.
- Certificates of completion of EMDRIA Credits hours should include the EMDRIA program approval number and the number of credits earned.
8. EMDR International Association Policies Agreement
By submitting the EMDR Certification application, applicants attest that they agree to adhere to EMDRIA Policies.