We are celebrating EMDRIA members identifying with Hispanic and/or Latinx heritage for Hispanic Heritage Month. Someone identifying as Hispanic or Latinx may do so for various reasons and contexts. We love to point to Terry Blas’ comic “I’m Latino. I’m Hispanic. And they’re different, so I drew a comic to explain” for a lighthearted and authentic clarification around the terms Hispanic (usually about Spanish language base) and Latinx (usually of a geographical area).
We know that in therapy, our clients’ identity matters and that clients do best when the different aspects of their identity are encouraged and considered within the therapy relationship. Similarly, at EMDRIA, our members’ identity matters, and our goal is that EMDRIA members’ identities are considered, celebrated, and encouraged to be fully expressed and understood.
We asked EMDRIA members and EMDR therapists to share 2-minute video clips responding to the following question.
“Describe a bit about your experience as a member of the Hispanic/Latinx community and how your identity has informed, strengthened, and/or challenged your EMDR practice.”
*For closed captioning, play the video you wish and click on the ‘CC’ icon in the lower right hand corner.
- Blas, Terry. You Say Latino: A Mini Comic. Vox. https://www.vox.com/2015/8/19/9173457/hispanic-latino-comic
- Blossom, P. It’s More Important Than Ever to Remove the Stigma Around Latinx Mental Health. Oprah Daily. https://www.oprahdaily.com/life/health/a29518665/latinos-mental-health-stigma/
- Flores, V., & Irias, E. Lifting Latinx: A Primer About Working Effectively with the Hispanic and Latino Population, Ep. 129. Clearly Clinical Podcast. https://clearlyclinical.com/podcast/ceu-therapy-hispanic-latin-community
- Garcia, K. Why Latinos can benefit from a culturally competent therapist, and how to find one. Los Angeles Times. https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/story/2021-12-29/how-to-find-a-culturally-competent-mental-health-professional
- Gomez, Shirley. Bilingual Mental Health Resources for the Latinx Community. Hola! https://us.hola.com/lifestyle/20210917g2gerzsos3/bilingual-mental-health-resources-for-the-latinx-community/
- Harris, H., Urdaneta, V., Triana, V., Vo, C. S., Walden, D., & Myers, D. (2018). A pilot study with Spanish-speaking Latina survivors of domestic violence comparing EMDR & TF-CBT group interventions. Open Journal of Social Sciences, 6(11), 203-222. Open access: https://doi.org/10.4236/jss.2018.611015
- Health and Human Services. National Hispanic Heritage Month 2021 Fact Sheet. Office of Minority Health. https://www.minorityhealth.hhs.gov/hispanic-heritage-month/
- Hinojosa, Maria. From Invisible to Visible: TedxPennsylvaniaAvenue. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAucrEPi4sM
- Latino USA. Podcast. https://www.latinousa.org/
- Manrique, J. (2017). Therapy used for U. S. veterans finds success among traumatized immigrants. Center for Health Journalism. https://centerforhealthjournalism.org/fellowships/projects/therapy-used-us-veterans-finds-success-among-traumatized-immigrants
- Natural History Museum. Beyond Gender: Indigenous Perspectives, Mapuche. NHMLAC. https://nhm.org/stories/beyond-gender-indigenous-perspectives-mapuche
- Natural History Museum. Beyond Gender: Indigenous Perspectives, Muxe. NHMLAC. https://nhm.org/stories/beyond-gender-indigenous-perspectives-muxe
- Piech, E. Fuerza: LGBTQ Latinx Youth Speak Their Truth. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P5knjMj-64
- Rodriguez, N. Intersectionality & Latinx as Digital Disruptions of Identity. TEDx. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUqqgMkC2T8
- The Hispanic Star. Infographic on Latino Mental Health. https://hispanicstar.org/resources/
- Wylde, A. Elles: Being Non Binary and Latinx. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ccuUFF-Ts
General Resources for Mental Health Therapists
If you are a therapist interested in the EMDR training, visit our EMDR Training & Education tab:
If you are EMDR trained:
- Learn more about EMDRIA membership
- Search for Continuing Education opportunities
- Check out the EMDRIA blog, Focal Point
If you are an EMDRIA Member: