EMDRIA Certified Therapists who have completed the online CIT Declaration Form are eligible to begin working towards the Approved Consultant credential. In addition to already being a Certified Therapist, applicants must have three years of experience with EMDR after completing an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training Program, have conducted at least three hundred clinical sessions in which EMDR was utilized, and have received twenty hours of consultation-of-consultation from an EMDRIA Approved Consultant. They must complete twelve hours of continuing education in EMDR every two years to continue to hold this credential.
Please note: Those applying for the Approved Consultant credential must be an EMDRIA Certified Therapist. You cannot begin to accrue consultation-of-consultation hours until you have been approved as an EMDRIA Certified Therapist.
Approved Consultant Application
Please read the Approved Consultant Criteria below and Consultant-in-Training Frequently Asked Questions before filling out the Approved Consultant Application. Please only submit an application one time via scan, fax or mail and do not submit incomplete applications. All application materials, including Letters of Recommendation, must be submitted in English.
Approved Consultant Period
If accepted, Approved Consultant credentials will be granted for 2 years from the date of acceptance. To keep this credential, you will need to renew every two years. Click here to learn more about Approved Consultant Renewal.
Approved Consultant Fees
|Full Member of EMDRIA||$250.00 US Dollars|
|Non-EMDRIA Member||$450.00 US Dollars|
Approved Consultant Criteria
Those applying for the Approved Consultant credential must be an active EMDRIA Certified Therapist and Consultant-in-Training and must meet the following criteria:
1) EMDRIA Approved Training: Submit evidence of having completed an EMDRIA approved EMDR Training program. A copy of your certificate of completion is required.
2) License/Certification: Provide documentation of independent license as a mental health professional in the state or province where you practice. A photocopy of your license to practice independently is required.
3) Do you have at least three years of experience after completing an EMDRIA approved Training program? Answer yes or no on the application form. Applicants MUST have the minimum 3 years of experience after completion of the EMDR Training.
4) Have you conducted at least 300 EMDR sessions with at least 75 clients? Answer yes or no on the application form and then attach notarized documentation supporting this statement. You can write out the statement as it is written, “I have conducted at least 300 EMDR sessions with at least 75 clients”, or something similar and then have it notarized.
5) Have you received 20 hours of consultation-of-consultation by an Approved Consultant in EMDR?* Answer yes or no on the application form. Then you will need to obtain documentation from the Approved Consultant(s) you received your consultation-of-consultation from, verifying the number of hours you have received from him/her and how many of those hours were individual consultation and how many were group consultation. If you have received consultation from more than one Approved Consultant, you will need documentation from each. These “consultation-of-consultation” groups in EMDR should be no larger than 4 consultants-in-training at any one time. Click Here to Find an Approved Consultant
*PLEASE NOTE: Only consultation hours received AFTER becoming a Certified Therapist can be applied towards this requirement*
6) Attach letter or letter(s) of recommendation from one or more Approved Consultant(s) in EMDR, regarding the quality of your consultation in EMDR to others.
7) Attach two letters of recommendation regarding your professional utilization of EMDR in clinical practice, consultation abilities, ethics in practice, and professional character. These can be obtained from colleagues or peers.
8) Attach certificates of completion of 12 hours of EMDRIA Credits (continuing education in EMDR). The EMDR Training is not awarded EMDRIA Credits – only EMDRIA Approved Credit Programs in EMDR that are completed after the EMDR Training can receive EMDRIA Credits and be used towards this application requirement. EMDRIA Credits are one time use only. This means if you used an EMDRIA Credit course to apply for Certification or renew your Certification, you cannot use that same EMDRIA Credit course towards this application requirement. If you are in need of EMDRIA Credits, you can earn EMDRIA Credits through the EMDRIA OnDemand eLearning site. For more information and to access the EMDRIA OnDemand catalog of choices, click here. Additionally, you may click here to view the Calendar of Events.
9) EMDRIA Policies. Applicants must read and verify on the application form that they agree to adhere to EMDRIA Policies.
Please Note: Upon meeting these requirements, completing the application, and paying an application fee, the applicant would receive the designation as an EMDRIA Approved Consultant. Although the status of Approved Consultant subsumes Certification, those applying for Approved Consultant status must already have completed the application process for and been approved as EMDRIA Certified Therapists in EMDR. This qualifies them to consult with those seeking certification in EMDR. You may not begin working towards meeting the Approved Consultant requirements until you have been designated an EMDRIA Certified Therapist in EMDR and you have notified EMDRIA to which Approved Consultant you are working with for consultation-of-consultation hours. Additionally, an individual who is already Certified in EMDR must still pay full applicant cost to be elevated to the status of Approved Consultant.